Saturday, April 8, 2017

Weekends

RD sometimes laments we are so busy on weekends, and I concur. We are trying to put up a playset (after a decade of wanting one!) but have to prep a spot for it first. We've decided to tear out our weed garden and put it there. The weeds won the battle, but we hope this wins the war.  Last weekend RD  pulled out the stakes and wire and rototilled our weed garden. We spread landscape fabric over the spot, and went to IFA and got some stall mats (and got a great deal on a discontinued missing-a mat stall set). They are super heavy, and we enlisted the (somewhat reluctant) help of the kids to move them in the backyard. We decided we didn't have quite enough, so RD set off to get more as I took Reese up to his soccer game.
By then it was gusting and raining, cold and dreary. Thankfully I still have my waterproof jacket from Sitka, so I stood in the rain watching him play. His team was playing well, and I got to see him head a cross into the goal amid a pack of players and keeper. it was pretty awesome. He spread his arms out and cheered with his teammates, and missed another goal by a few inches a bit later. RD joined me on the sideline, having dragged some more mats to the back in the rain by himself. There was another almost goal, and our keep caught a lot of shots, and his team won! pretty big deal for his team. I wish I'd taken a picture of him coming towards us after the game, soaked and muddy, his face lit up and a broad smile.
We got home, and RD made hot cocoa for everyone. It was that kinda weather. RD really wanted to go to the BYU powow, but the kids had their fill of Native American dancing with Living Legends, so we went off to it on a date. We ate Navajo tacos and watch the grand entry and dancing competitions.


RD wore his Choctaw shirt and had a guy comment on it. I was one of only a handful of white people, I was kinda surprised more white people didn't come check it out.
We left for home and found the mats laying unevenly across the ground with puddles of water. Discouraged at having a lot of dragging/undoing/leveling/re-laying ahead of us, we did the bath/bed routine, and crashed.
We've been working on that spot when we can, raking and shoveling, Aubree even helping dig up dirt and haul it over in the toy dump truck to fill spots, but we have another weekend or two to spend on it. Maybe one day in July we'll get a weekend with no soccer or projects.
ha, who am I kidding.

1 comment:

Dad said...

All the hard work produces great long-term benefits when you invest it in Family! We think you guys are doing a great job!