Friday, June 10, 2016

"I wear my sunglasses at night"

We had a huge flourishing weed garden when we moved in. We've spent one evening and several odd hours pulling up weeds, but wanted to finally get it done and try planting a garden.
We have tried growing vegetables for a handful of years, and it's never been very productive, and some summers it's lead to zero veggies. yet I still hope someday of eating something I grow. Maybe it's a delusion for me, since I kill all the plants I've ever gotten, but I still like the idea. I hear it's so much yummier, and cheaper. At least a garden is only required to live for a summer at least. Anyway, we 'll keep trying.
So Saturday morning we told the kids our plan to weed the rest of the garden and plant some seeds, and we'd all  help, and all go to Arctic Circle afterwards. So early-ish in the morning we got to work, RD starting out by digging up a bunch of sod to get started on fixing our sprinklers. Cameron and Aubree were out there with us right away, Cameron working hard at weeding and Aubree working hard at making dirt piles. And planting sticks in the dirt piles. Cameron helped her get snacks and was a big helper.

The later-risers came over later, digging up huge patches of weeds, and collecting snails for termination. Grace and Aubree loved to find the snails, exclaiming at how big many of them were. RD and I had to go through the sprinkler several times ourselves to cool down to make it through the several hours digging and pulling, but we finally got it mostly cleared.

We were all wilting, so we decided to plant that evening when it was cooler, and headed off to Arctic circle dirty, sweaty, and beat. We all got dipped cones (except Reese who preferred classic vanilla), and enjoyed our small victory.
On the way home Bree was wearing her sunglasses, as she does in the car, and "sunglasses at night" came on the radio. RD told her it was for her, and she jammed out to it, saying 'this is my song, right?!". It was fun.



That night we planted seeds, Cameron and Aubree eager to help. Aubree threw seeds lots of places. and the next morning birds were out there eating seeds and the almost-ripe strawberries. Maybe we should just let Aubree out there to do it all again. Those birds!!

No comments: