The best day was Grace's baptism. We had been talking about what it meant for awhile, and I had prepared what I hoped was a memorable and clear way to illustrate what it meant. I had really built up the expectations for this fhe (family home evening), and Cameron kept trying to guess what my 'field trip' was to. I was all excited about it, but they seemed totally disappointed when we ended up along a bridge across the provo river in the freezing wind and rain Monday night. I explained the gulf between us and God, and how Christ built the bridge so we could come be with and like them, and to get on the bridge we had to be baptized and promise to obey his commandments, and as we kept our promise we'd have help crossing that bridge. (condensed version) The wind was howling as we coached each kid to cross, trying to help them catch the vision and excitement, as they cried out the answers and leaped across the river. and then huddled and pleaded to be done.
The weather and resulting lack of enthusiasm was a bit of a letdown for me, but RD said the weather was so bad they'd remember it better. But at least Grace remembered she was promising to obey a couple days later.
Her big day was going to be at 9am, a bit early for getting everyone pulled together, and my sister's family who had to drive 45 min to come still got there before us. And we had forgotten a couple things. sigh. Thankfully we live very close to the chapel. Her grandfather and aunt spoke, and Grace sang "I feel my Saviour's love", which was sweet and moving. Made my heart (and face) smile.
Then she was baptized, which was short, simple, and powerful. She said the water was hot :) She was given the gift of the Holy Ghost by RD, Gramp, and Brian, and had her glorious smile stretching across her face. I love her smile. She doesn't do it in pictures.
We went home and played Wackee six with everyone, which was a lot of fun, and Brian and Grace won, with Reese and Grandma close behind. Then we all went out to lunch, which was fabulous to not have to stress. RD was going to take the kids to the BYU football free spring practise, but the wind and cold deterred them, to Cameron's frustration. That evening the kids dog-piled Gramp while RD played for us. I love that I can be with them forever.
| Hop on pop! (or gramp) |
1 comment:
Sounds great -- so sorry we missed it. I love Grace's smile to -- just like her mother's! Could you send me a hi-res copy of the picture of Grace and RD in white that you posted? Thanks!
Post a Comment