Thursday, October 23, 2014

See through rose-colored glasses

 On Monday evening, before going in for FHE, the boys were playing soccer, and these two were almost smack in the middle of them, making a leaf pile. The sun was setting, and with the clouds cast this gorgeous rose tint over everything! It was remarkable, not only the sky but all of us were pink!I ran inside to grab the camera, but the auto-color corrected for it, so I missed it! Bummer. I snapped a few pics anyway, loving the moment, the crisp fall evening, playing and having fun together, crunchy leaves, and cheers from awesome plays and saves.
Later I was thinking about how fun that evening was, and about the rose-light, and was reminded of the idiom 'see through rose-colored glasses'. While there's a general sense of disapproval in not seeing things as they are in that definition, I think there is a lot of power in optimism and gratitude. It was cool to me how when that light shed all over the scene, suddenly I noticed the moment I was in with awareness and appreciation, and I got to bask in the moment, instead of letting it slip by unnoticed. Which really is the point for me in blogging, to help remind me to 'see' the moments.
It also reminded me of a quote from Gordon B Hinckley, a prophet of God, that I have been thinking about lately:

2 comments:

dmgeiger said...

I love this reminder Deborah. Thanks so much. You are doing great.

Dad said...

I love that quote.It especially works for you because you have one of the worlds great smiles.
The only down side of reading your stories is the tug of memories when all of you were little and we could be your world.
It all changes, as it should, so I'm happy to see you treasure them now.