Sunday, October 26, 2014

Monster Mash

Our kids school was having a dance, a Monster Mash. The kids talked about it saying stuff like "us kids would like to g of course we won't go" etc.  I was surprised, and a bit insulted, that they'd think so poorly of us, like we never do anything. We told them we could go, and they were happy, but I could have enjoyed a little more apology/excitement. But, it's not supposed to be about me, so I made Cameron's cloak, put on Reese's scar, went through the halloween box to find something for Aubree, and tried to follow a tutorial for 50's hair to dress up for the dance. (this is totally obvious, but just so you know I know, I can't do hair. Even when I try, and it's just like a basic curl, it turns out wrong. So I love ponytails.) I ended up pulling out the updo, and reminding myself 'it's not about me', and hoping I don't run into the 20 people I know that I did run into at the dance.
Reese is Harry Potter, Grace is a ninja, Cameron is Halt, and Bree is a ladybug. with pink legs, cause we dont have a black shirt.
 aubree wore that costume for about 2 hours before the dance, she loved it so much.


So, the kids were pretty anxious and excited for the mash, and a bit keyed up and dramatic, which made for some fun times, but we all made it to the school, paid our $, and went into the gym. The gym that was very dark, very hot, and very loud, with some sort of awkward beat 'music' that didn't sound appropriate for elementary school. Cameron wanted to leave immediately, but we wanted to at least get a few minutes out of our efforts and $, so we tried to find friends of the kids. They all eventually found some, and Grace got into it. She is quite the mover.

There were a few decent songs, and all the kids sang along to the katy perry 'roar', but after awhile some of our kids were just overwhelmed and done, so we left, relieved as soon as we left the building. we had tears and theatrics getting to bed, and after it was all over, we looked at each other, and agreed, No More!
so i guess that's why our kids think "we don't do anything".

1 comment:

dmgeiger said...

You and RD look great!!!