A couple nights ago as RD and I were talking and hanging out on our bed before we went to sleep, RD brought up the email he'd received from the soccer club the kids have been on. RD coached Reese's team last fall, and assistant coached in the spring, and the club was checking to see if he'd coach, since there was no one signed up yet.
We had already talked about it, so he knew what his reply would be: his heart says yes, his wife says no, so no. three kids in soccer and coaching was enough for one year, not two.
In my defense, I wonder if soccer takes too much time away from our family. Reese and Cameron have two nights of practice a week, Grace one, usually all at different times, and then 3 games or sometimes 4 on a Saturday, and with RD gone too, and kids and RD doing scouts, it felt like we were hardly ever all together.
So, knowing this is how I feel, RD started to talk about soccer, and enjoying coaching Reese's team, and about Cameron's team, and wanting to coach his team sometime, how Cameron talks about wanting that. Then he moved on to Grace's team, and how sometime he wants to coach her team.
At this point, I burst out, with Count Rugen, "stop saying that!"
After a second of shock and awareness, we both started laughing, and RD gave me a hug and dropped the subject. Moving on, of course, to our favorite Princess Bride quotes.
Saturday, July 26, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The Princes Bride has more useful lessons than I had realized. I've never tried the Count Rugen approach -- I'll have to keep it in mind (remembering that it ended badly for him). Thanks for sharing your family moments, and I am sorry we are inflicting more travel anxiety on you in order to see you and your family. See you soon!
Post a Comment