Sunday, June 22, 2014

where I come from

I am negligent in doing family history. RD and I are very slowly struggling to get through translating a novella in old Quebec French about a far back ancestor, but that is pretty much it. The research is so intimidating. But what is fascinating are the stories, the lives of people. As a history major, what I love to read are people's experiences, as opposed to the general overview that loses the intensity and reality of how events shaped people, and how people shaped events. And I wish I knew more about the people whose lives have shaped mine.
I grew up on the other side of the country from my dad's family, so I have seen my Grandma Geiger a lot more since getting married and being out west. She is loving, thoughtful, strong, and generous, even when I have been consumed by my immediate family needs. Betty Anne came with her to our wedding, a sacrifice on both their parts when they couldn't even be at the ceremony.
We have been graciously welcomed and pampered by her and Karen for many thanksgivings. We love her rice stuffing! From our thanksgiving's with them we have made traditions of watching the Macy's parade, and christmas movies. One year we loved taking a drive with them through a christmas lights display. One of those years we totally slacked on our role of giving Karen a care-giver break, but left with Grandma's awesome two-door car, saving us from our barely functioning deathtrap we were taking our two little kids around in.


When we were in Galena, she sent us an Avon sun/bug block that was safe for the kids, and when you're in the Alaska bush in the summer, that thoughtful gesture made a world of difference in our experience in the outdoors. She even sent us $10 to make sure we bought cake and ice cream for Cameron's birthday while we were in Galena (cause that's how much it cost!) She and Karen infallibly send out birthday and holiday cards, on time; that is a major feat! The stories of leaving her family to go across the country, building homes and starting over, kids and family, and dealing with a body that keeps getting older, she shares her fortitude and endurance, doing her best and carrying on, 'what can you do? you just have to keep going", without complaining.
I know I am not who and where I am just because of myself; I stand on the work of generations before me who have sacrificed for a better tomorrow for their children.  I am so grateful for where and who I come from. I love you Grandma!








No comments: