Saturday, June 21, 2014

Air I can breathe

We started hiking in ft. Collins, CO as a family. RD and I loved it, and when we lived in Sitka, it was an obviously awesome recreation. Hiking around the high desert and sagebrush in Boise  doesn't compare, so we were really excited to go hiking all together the morning after camping. After making a fire to warm us up, we went the easy route for breakfast and ate croissants, muffins, and strawberries for breakfast. Not exactly the breakfast of champions, but it meant we didn't have to try to squeeze a cooler into the car (of course, we didn't know it'd be cold enough to be a cooler). I tried roasting the strawberries, which was fun and gave them a different flavor. I don't know if it was better, but the girls liked them roasted. I liked them better just warmed.
Anyway, after that we packed up. And I wondered why we camp for just one night.... Setup and take down is a lot of time!
We headed out over the summit to the Crooked River trail. The trail went along the river most of the way, and had an abundance of wildflowers!

There were some big rocky outcropping a the kids kind of climbed on, but they were too steep most of the time to explore.

what does this rock look like? rooock, Rock monster!
RD and Cameron looked at fishing holes, Reese hung back and told me his opinion about soccer, the trail, etc. Bree was happy in the pack, and RD and I were loving getting out into trees and trails.

Cameron started asking when we were turning around shortly before we came to a bridge with a small clearing off to the side, where we stopped for a snack break. RD and i guessed it was about 1 and a half to 2 miles out. Aubree liked getting down and exploring, and the boys pried apart an old log with ants all in it.

On the way back, the kids started singing "if you're happy and you know it" making up their own actions. I was shocked! And thrilled! Grace held hands with me most the way back. I loved seeing my family all strung out in front of me, and enjoying the moment we were in. I love these guys so much.
When we got back to the car, Aubree started crying. She was SO tired. You remember, that rough night. It was about 1pm when we were done, and we were going to get lunch in Idaho City, but since Bree fell asleep a few minutes into the drive, and since we all know how fun it is to take an exhausted toddler to a restaurant, we went straight home and put her down: she slept for another 3 hours! Phew, we made it!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Sounds like a great time. Your mother started liking camping a lot more once we got a trailer (soft beds, no leaks and gas stoves -- and a microwave in our case). These are great memories. Thanks for the picture and the video. Wish we could be there!