My kids haven't really been kids that like to hold hands when we're walking. Maybe most kids don't. As the school year comes to an end, I am excited about it, but am a little bittersweet about Grace's last year at the program at the Idaho School for the Deaf. She has completely blossomed there, and I am so grateful she was able to go. Since she will be going to the neighborhood school next year, she will no longer be riding the bus, hooray! The 30- 50 min drive each way sure took it's toll on her everyday. I'm not sure yet if I'll miss waiting with her for the bus. honestly, i think i'll love not waiting around for 20-30 min everyday for a bus, but maybe I'll miss the time with the kids. During the winter it was pretty miserable, but when it's warmer out, Grace likes to play what she calls "hockey", even though it is soccer with a rock. She'd find a rock, or pine cone, and we'd try to kick it past each other over the lines in the sidewalk to make a goal. It really ended up just being her stepping on my feet if I ever got the rock, but it was generally fun. Waiting for her to come home, Aubree always wants to come with me, no matter the weather. Since it's been nice out, she loves to climb up and around the landscaped hill beside the sidewalk, or walk up and down the sidewalk with me. Recently I remembered to bring my camera when we were waiting for her. Aubree grasped my hand as we walked down the sidewalk, and my heart glowed. Cameron scooted toward us, as he sometimes does, often in pj's and no shoes. As we chatted and walked, I wanted to hold onto the moment, of young kids and simple pleasures, sunshine and laughter, and especially the joy of sweet affection from a little hand holding mine. Grace's bus arrived, Aubree waved and was excited, Cameron scooted off, Grace and Aubree went in circles around the sign post at the end of the street, and the day went on. But I love that memory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment