I was talking to RD about my goals for this year, and specifically the ones to do with being a better mom. One of the things I love and believe is important about being a mom is being there "at the crossroads", or when the kids get home from anything. But since Bree is often napping when the boys get home, last year I found myself usually involved in something when the boys got home, and though I would stop and look up to talk, I decided I didn't want to do that. We all have our own unique strengths and gifts, personality and spiritually-wise, and I have been thinking about ways I can use mine in my most important work. I think one of my strengths as a mom is being enthusiastic, so I've been trying to make sure I am waiting for the kids when they come home, and be really excited greeting them, making sure to hug them. To be honest, I don't know if that makes a difference to them, but it does to me; i can't fake that kind of energy. hopefully it makes up for when I'm totally annoyed at them.
Anyway, we were talking about coming home as kids, and RD mentioned how he remembers his mom making cookies for them, and how he loved it, that he knew she was thinking of him, and of course he loved the cookies. which reminded me of my mom's oatmeal cookies she'd make. Yes, our moms were cool like that. Well, at first I was 'like I don't do enough or think about them enough without having to also make cookies'. like the endless laundry. Like trying to feed them. Seriously, trying to get these kids to eat, eat healthy, and on our budget, is a daily pain. Anyway, short story long, Later in the week Bree and I had some time, and we made cookies!
 |
| Oh yeah |
and Aubreee had her first cookie dough! She loved it of course.
I wish I had taken a video of when she first tasted it; she wasn't sure what I was sticking in her mouth, and was like 'what are you doing?" quickly followed by widened eyes and an enlightened 'oh yeah, i want more'.
just so she doesn't accuse me later of exposing her to salmonella, these were eggless cookies. And my celebrity status that day motivated me to make cookies again this week.
 |
| She wants to hold it herself! |
We'll see how long this keeps up, especially since my faves aren't my
kids faves (who could resist lemon bars?!... apparently my whole
family.) But that may be a good thing if I theoretically don't want to eat cookies for breakfast. which i did yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment