Friday, September 24, 2010

Wild Blueberries!


We joined some friends on a hike along Harbor Mtn on the first sunny day of the streak, and went up a steep trail to the top of one of the mtns. It had an awesome view of Sitka and the ocean, and the kids loved the little flat area and trees to climb in. We were all so excited Kris found a whole hillside covered with low-bush blueberries, which are very tiny, but oh so sweet! Grace ate almost all the ones she picked, and Reese got bored after awhile and started throwing them at us, but Cameron was a diligent picker! Most everyone got berry bums and hands, sliding down and sitting on the berries we missed as we went down the hill. The warmth of the sun on our backs, good friends, and the sweet earthy smell and taste of the wild blueberries, made for a memorable day. Picking enough of the berries to do something with took a long time, and when we got home I wasn't sure it was worth all the time for that little bit of berries. And driving up to Harbor Mtn, with all the gates open, takes about 1/2 hour, and seems SO long to us. After I made them into jam, we decided to go back for more! They are so intensely flavorful of blueberry, it is amazing! We went back up with some other friends a few days later, and all picked more berries. We also got to watch the sunset, (at about 7:30) which was very red, but not quite as striking with no clouds :) but I'll take the sun over the clouds so far!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love those memorable days. It reminds me when our family found some huckleberry bushes. I'm so glad that you've been able to enjoy the sun. Have a blast at your siblings' weddings.

Nate King said...

That is a really cute picture of Grace picking blueberries! And RD, I think you're blog has the first Christmas music I've heard this year! :) We wish we could be enjoying some of your nice weather with you. We hope you get to enjoy more of it.