When we first got there, we stopped for lunch around the Alluvial Fan, which has a bunch of rocks the boys can climb on while I fed Grace. We were at our picnic table when a bunch of cars drove up, and we were surrounded by a deaf community get-together. It was really weird to be around these people we feel an affinity to, and yet not be able to talk to and be outside this culture. Our kids got a lot of looks, and one man spoke to us. Another man waved, and then a second too late I realized he had signed 'hello', and I had missed the chance to reciprocate. I wanted to know what to say so much! But the signs I know are more about want/need objects and singing songs. When we finished up and headed to our car, two people in the group had mistaken our van for their identical one, so we had the chance to interact more. As I tried to sign 'our van' with my hands full of picnic items, I regretted not working harder on my ASL. (darn it, what exactly is the sign for same?!) Thinking I know a sign, and then using it with a fluent person is totally different! Another man explained to them, then after attempting to talk to us they left; all I could think of to say was 'thank you' (i never tell grace i'm sorry in sign). A few minutes later one of the people walked by again, and started signing. All i managed to remember in my flustered state was 'silly car'. When she continued the one-sided conversation, I managed to sign 'no ASL'. She said something else, then started to turn away; I said 'goodbye', she returned it, and we parted. It is so awkward having kids that are kind of in this culture, being hard of hearing, but none of us being able to really sign. At events with families with hearing loss, we often feel a little on the outskirts since we're not in the world of signing, but I wonder how much our kids will identify with deaf culture, and want them to have the chance if they want it.
Anyway, I digress...
We took a diversion from our usual hikes around Sprague and Bear Lake to check out the Morraine Park area, on the Cub Lake Trail; I had low expectations about it's appeal (lots of brown grass and rocks, yeah!).
It turned out to be one of our favorite hikes.
This shot is for Mama Carol and Papa; I don't know if they read it, but here's one for you!
3 comments:
The sign for same is a "Y" shape with your hand and then gesturing between the two objects that are the same. :) Harder to describe than to actually show a person!
I totally LOVE sign language! I used to be fairly fluent in it (although never felt good enough to interact coherently with the deaf community). I feel like I am losing a lot of it now though because I never use it :( I teach Logan a lot of simple things like "please" "thank you" "milk" "finished" etc. but that's not really enough for me to keep fluent! I feel that same connection when I happen to come into contact with deaf people, but I tend to shy away because I don't feel like I can converse with them very well. Although, they tend to be happy even if you are just making an effort :)
You are so lucky to have such beautiful hikes to go to so easily. I'm finally learning about some of the hidden treasure trails of DC/VA. I'm glad that you all had a great time.
I know how you feel! ASL is Rachel's first language, but I still don't feel comfortable signing with anyone older than 5. It so intimidating! I know they really appreciate it when we try, though.
I love Grace's pink dress--Rachel had one almost exactly like that when she was young, and it was my favorite.
Post a Comment