Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Grace!

Well, Grace is a year old now! Boy that time went by much faster than the year before she was born!

I was tagged to show my latest project, and her cake is it! Since Grace still refuses to eat solids (although she has taken a six voluntary tastes so far! yeah!), we weren't obliged to do the 'healthy' first birthday carrot cake that RD anticipates with such enthusiasm. While I wanted her cake to be pretty and sweet, just like her, I didn't want to try to do lots of freehand decoration like the ones I liked. So I decided to try out fondant... Marshmallow fondant, to be exact. I was a little worried about experimenting on her cake, but it turned out pretty good for my first try.

She got to enjoy a three-layer carrot wheel cake frosted with a yogurt/cream cheese mix, which she actually chewed on and maybe swallowed some. Either way, she got messy, and that's really what's important.
To celebrate her birthday we went down to Denver to have a big family party and went to the zoo... that party will have to be another post, since Cameron gave Grace his nasty virus for her birthday, and life is hectic right now.

7 comments:

Mulder said...

To set the record straight, I think it's morally wrong to give a "healthy" cake to a baby on their first birthday... I love you Debbie!!!

Robyn said...

I love the cake...I've never heard of marshmallow fondant before, but I bets its better than the regular kind.

Carrie said...

So cute and you are amazing with your cakes! Happy birthday Grace! Love you guys. Oh, I wanted to tell you that I LOVE your family photos. You are all so very photogenic.

Sarah said...

Check you out! Great job on the cake!

Despain said...

Happy Birthday Grace. I can't believe how quick a year has passed by. Good job on the cake Debbie!

sambritt said...

It does go by so fast...it's amazing that it has been a year. Happy b-day sweet baby girl.

RD call me you hosebag.

KIC said...

Happy Birthday cutie Grace!!