Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Spooky spooky halloween

We've thrown a couple halloween parties in our time, but in recent years Halloween just seemed like a poor excuse to spend a bunch of money on costumes and candy that we then try to get away from our kids. Not liking creepy things, the whole idea/culture of Halloween just isn't my groove.
This year my perspective shifted again. I was hangin' with my sis, and she was telling me about her family's themed costumes this year, and how her kids love it, and it helps make memories. I was thinking about that, as I moaned about taking any effort for a "holiday" I don't believe in. Especially as I saw cute kids, fun costumes, and themed families, like our friend's awesome Princess Bride gang. (I still haven't seen pics of my sis's family, hint hint)
And I think I've maybe been missing out on an opportunity. Our kids have always dressed up as something, so we're gonna be doing it, like it or not. I'm not mean enough to just not participate. I maybe resent how much it costs to buy costumes and candy, and don't want to put in the effort to be creative and fun, but that just makes me dull and boring! Maybe we should have more fun with Halloween.
We did have fun carving pumpkins,

reading "The Monster Ring" together, and RD convinced me to accompany him on a Pedal Provo Ghost Tour. I needed more moral support to try that out (though that didn't help with "the others") so we invited some friends along, and we had a lot of fun with them. At least, we did once RD and I traded bikes.
The big  night Reese watched Signs while I coerced kids into a pic, Aubree was a pirate princess, and the others speak for themselves.
Then they ran around the neighborhood in less than an hour, as RD and Reese then rushed off to a Lore performance at BYU. Leaving me with the sugar-high kids, by myself, ha. That was a treat.

No comments: