Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Crazy lady

For Mother's Day, RD got me a gift certificate for a family photo session! I was so excited! I booked it for the middle of September, close to our anniversary, and so Renée would hopefully be able to sit up and be more than a blob.
Come September, I started to shop around for some clothes for everyone to wear. I turned into a crazy lady, and went to a lot of stores a lot of times. I would go with and without kids, and sometimes had to get several sizes to see what'd fit, and go back to return stuff. It was embarrassingly way too much time and work and stress for some pictures.
Then the weather was warmer than I'd expected, still in the 80's in the evenings, so I then went  around again to find short-sleeve options so kids would be comfortable.
And there was a huge forest fire raging just south of us, filling the air with smoke. We still went ahead with making sure everyone had recent hair cuts, and bathed thoroughly. Because, you know... 'washed' hair can be 'not quite clean' hair. The day arrived, and it was one of the worst days of smoke, so the photographer rescheduled, to my relief. The next week,  it was still burning and smoky. We rescheduled again.
A week and a half later, we had done the hair trim/washing again, but it was pretty cold- 30's- and supposed to rain where we were going to go,  so she called to see what we wanted to do. I just wanted to get it over, and the next time she had available the temps were supposed to be just as chilly, so we decided to change the location to try to beat the rain, and be a little warmer.
So we got ready, using the warmer clothes I'd kept in case, but I worried they'd still be chilly. Aubree refused to layer, saying she wouldn't do the pictures if she had to change. We were already late, so we left. It thankfully never rained on us, but it was cold. Pretty much the whole time Aubree complained of the cold and tried to stay in the blankets we'd brought, Renée cried wanting to be wrapped up as well, and all the kids wanted to be Done!
I should've taken some photos on the phone of all the craziness. 
The photographer was asking us if there were any other shots we wanted, but Reese had already run off to get in the car, Aubree was huddled in the blankets whining, the baby was cold, and the other two were running around trying to find Renée's shoes that had refused to stay on.
So we called it.
She said 'that was fun!" and I didn't know what to say....
but I knew I never want to be a photographer if that was fun.
We haven't gotten them back yet, but I'm almost scared to. All that work prepping, and it'll be magic if they turn out like I hope. It was rather disappointing, but I know I am a maximiser, so I try to let it go. What makes me really crazy is afterwards, when I lost most of my hope there were some good photos, I started thinking about trying to do them again sooner than later.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hope springs eternal! (Sorry for your travails)