SO we went camping. We went to Mirror Lake, and got a spot far away from the other sites (though all in the sun). Suh-weet. The weather was cool, the wildflowers were blooming, and the lake surrounded by stately pines beckoned.
We took some strolls around the lake, kids wading in and skipping stones, looking for fish, and keeping Padfoot from running off to the other dogs. The afternoon was stormy, with lightning looming, so we stayed in and read/played games while trying to be quiet enough for Renée to sleep.
Dinner was fun, but the campfire with woof'ems and singing along to the ukulele were even better. It took a little trial and error to get the biscuits cooked right, but Cameron said they were the best camping idea yet.
Reese sometimes gives me a hard time for not taking pictures of him, but he always pulls faces when I do. He said I could post them still; this is the least-awkward one I got.
The first night Renée woke up several times screaming, the dog paced the tiny floor a lot of the night, nails clicking, and Cameron and Grace slept half-off their beds, so it was a rough night all around.
The morning needed some morale boosting, so RD made a fire and hot water for breakfast and hot cocoa. The mood improved after food, and the kids were ready to go. They enjoyed kayaking out into the lake, and Grace even did some paddle-boarding on hers! Aubree didn't like being stuck on land, though she loved playing in the shallows. They also tried fishing again. The extended family next to them kept reeling the fish in, but we all got skunked except Grace.
I was in the trailer whenever Renée needed to nap, which felt like most of the time. Probably cause she didn't ever get enough sleep, and the book I brought wasn't captivating enough; Edith Roosevelt's life is interesting, but not page-turning. We played some more games/read books/napped (I think Reese slept almost the whole day, and he was the one who slept all night) through another afternoon of stormy weather, then debated on when to leave.
We were going to stick through another night, till the non-working fridge and spoiled food left us without a dinner option. So we decided to pack up early and get home for a late dinner. It was kinda sad, but kinda a relief to sleep well. Reée slept almost the whole next day, only up around 4 hours. We had been tired.
But I still miss the tranquility of the mountains, and those moments walking around, sitting by RD watching the kids have fun, and our campfire, so I guess it was a success. And I guess we'll go again. But I don't know if I can go back to a tent. That tent-trailer was pretty awesome.











1 comment:
Sounds fun! Wait until you try a real trailer that never leaks and has air conditioning!
Post a Comment