During Christmas break RD took everyone to the library, and I saw a book on the shelf, The Art of Baking with Natural Yeast. I checked it out, and it made sense to me how bread is made can alter it's chemical make-up and bio-availability of nutrition. So in January I got a start from a friend, and began to try to create bread.
In the book the author named her start, so I decided to name mine Shawn from Psych, since he's full of hot air a lot, can work brilliantly, but also be exasperating. After a couple months of baking, with several non-successes, so-so waffles and bread, some stellar muffins, and three successful bread loaf batches, I think I'm getting a handle on how to use Shawn. I think the naturally yeasted bread tastes better, and it lasts longer and stays moist longer. Cameron complains it's "too doughy" (i.e. soft), and Reese keeps complaining the bread doesn't taste any good. You know, forget that it takes me longer and is more work to make better-for-them bread.
At least Shawn would appreciate the subtleties of this bread.

No comments:
Post a Comment