Sunday, January 28, 2018

15 years!

This week was a big deal! It marked one month till I'm overdue, AND 15 years since Reese was born!!
This week RD, Aubree, Cameron, and I were sick with a bad virus, so it was a bit of a bummer for Reese, but I think we managed to pull it off ok. His big day was a school day, but plans to take him out to lunch didn't work out with being laid out sick, but he got his own box of Lucky Charms, with lots of "Reese's" labels all over. RD had gotten another box for the other kids, so they got a treat too. We had talked with him and decided to do his special lunch/dinner/celebration on Saturday, to give us time to recover, but treated everyone to pizza for dinner. We actually had a great evening hanging out and talking with everyone; Reese told us about some funny things that happen at school, including a story about a kid being silly that he was cracking up about. Seeing him laugh and share with us was so fun and enjoyable, it was awesome. Having him as a teenager has been a lot less scary than I feared as a younger mom! He's pretty great. New things for being 15? He couldn't think of anything he's learned in his year of being 14; I have noticed that he has started to try a few bites of dinner now and again, and he wanted clothes that weren't adidas/athletic for the first time recently. He got clear ear molds for the first time ever. And you can maybe notice a bit of a shadow on that lip.

He brought up driver's ed, and getting his learners permit. (!aahhh?!) He wanted to play some games, so we pulled out Shifty-eyed spies. RD and Reese won the first round, and RD and Grace the second. RD calls himself the master spy. I pretty much stink at that game, but that's ok. I often dominate Key Largo ;)
So Saturday was more of a celebration. Reese finished off his family-size Lucky Charms, I took Reese out to lunch to Chick-fil-a, and RD made him twice-baked potatoes for dinner. He'd asked for ice cream, no cake (hooray!), but he wanted mint cookies and cream. The BYU creamery is the only place I know it's sold, so we drove up and back 40  min for his ice cream. Still probably easier than making a cake though. He opened up his presents, including three folded papers taped all around the edges from Aubree, one of them filled with sandwich baggies stuffed with pictures. She really limited herself this time!
We played some more games, and ended the night with him watching one of the only Avengers movie's on Netflix, Dr. Strange. It's kinda crazy having him turn 15, but then since he's the oldest every birthday is crazy. What's really weird is having him turn 15 and being super pregnant. Aubree and him have been playing/teasing a lot more lately, and he can be really fun and sweet with her. She mostly climbs on/bugs him. They were playing recently, and he made a comment about how much older he was than her, and it made me kind of sad he'll be so much older than this baby. But he says he wants to be one of those cool older siblings that takes them out places, like one of his friends on his soccer team has, so there's hope :)

 He asked us when we're going to take them all to hawaii, (um, never?) "cause some of his friends have been like 5 times". I told him he was lucky we had him so early and poor, and he's had so many great adventures living different places, and lots of time with his parents, even without vacations. He wasn't convinced, but I'm glad we had him when we did. This'll be the first baby born in our own house! Wouldn't want to have waited 15 more years for him in our lives.


1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks for sharing this with us.