He invited 12 guys and girls, and all but 3 showed up, so we had quite the crew. (unfortunately for the 2 girls that came, 2 of the 3 that didn't show were the other girls). They got to work building rockets with directions from RD, and I spray-painted them at the end. Gold was the most popular color. Aubree loved watching them all.
While the paint dried they at some snacks, rocket crackers and diy lunchables, Cameron's request; ritz, sliced cheese and canadian bacon/pepperoni. While they ate I realized I was a few minutes late picking up Grace from her tennis class, so rushed to get her. When I got back they were almost all over at the park with the rockets, so I packed up the rest and met them there.
They kids were pretty excited to launch the rockets, and RD soon got them off into space. Most of us waited in the shade for their turn to hit the button. They went so high we lost sight of most of them, but eventually spotted them all, though most came apart. There was a short delay with a launch problem, and some rockets that weren't treated gently that exploded, but overall it was successful.
We hurried back to get some cake and ice cream into them before parents came to pick them up.
The debris from that many teens and rocket-building was a bit overwhelming, but it went well, and Cameron seemed to have fun.
| yeah, it was supposed to be a rocket on the moon |
The next day, for his special 12th birthday, he decided to have a full day of activities he likes, instead of one big event to do. SO he watched the first Harry Potter, had lunch and went to Nicklemania (an arcade), then watched the second Harry Potter. We took a break for dinner; we'd been asking him what his favorite dinner was so we could make it for his birthday, and he couldn't come up with a meal he loves. Seriously! He finally suggested "baked potatoes are okay", so we had baked potatoes with lots of bacon, which he does love. We ended the day with the third Harry Potter, but by the middle he had a headache from all the screen time, so we went to bed and finished it the next day.
On Sunday he was called up to the front of church to be recognized for turning 12, and he was glad RD got to do that. Later that day he was given the rights and responsibilities to serve others as a deacon in the priesthood, which is super cool. I remember when Reese was 12 I wondered if he was really ready for that responsibility. Then I realized that's why they get the priesthood, a.k.a.the opportunities to serve that the priesthood offers; it's the service/duty, doing jobs they don't really want to do, that helps them grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment