Tuesday, May 2, 2017

boy's best friend

We loved our little doggie, but he sure didn't seem to love us. We figured he'd take awhile to trust us, but besides wagging his tail when we'd come home, he didn't much seem to care for us. RD and I would sometimes talk about whether he was the right dog for us, and Cameron would always protest any hint of giving him away. Padfoot abruptly started to bark whenever someone would come to our house a couple months ago, so I guess he finally decided our home was his, at least enough to protect, but we nick-named him the cat-dog, he was so like a cat in his affection, and energy level.
We watched Homeward Bound a while ago, and the kids thought it was pretty funny. Dogs are praised for their loyalty and devotion to people, but it sure wasn't coming from him, and I kinda was a little bummed we were missing out. I had a cat growing up, and he too was pretty aloof, and didn't even purr. Seemed like I always got the animals that don't like people.
But we went away for two days to Arches, and when we got back started taking him to the dog park. Whether he started to trust us or saw other dogs that actually liked their people, he suddenly became more attached, following us around the house, coming over for rubs and pats, and being ok with sleeping in Cameron's room, instead of spending his days and nights sleeping on his bed, away from us all.


I still don't know if he'd stick around us off-leash or run off, but it's nice to get some reciprocation. These guys sure love him. Cameron has taught him a bunch of tricks, crawl, high-five, jump, and is super responsible about taking him out every night so Padfoot goes potty. Now if only they'd walk him or pick up his poop...


2 comments:

Dad said...

thanks for these blogs -- we love hearing the little details about your family and how they remind us of our own. I keep adding comments but for some reason they never show up!!!

Debbie said...

This one showed up! Thanks!