We had decided we would get a dog, but something urgent always seemed to be filling our time. I checked out some training books, and looked around for a doodle mix, the kind of dog I was willing to get. Turns out they are ridiculously expensive, like $1500+ to get from a breeder, around $800 from ksl classsifieds selling their older puppy. That was just too much for us. So I again compromised, saying ok, we can get a short haired yellow/brown/tan colored dog. So I started looking around at shelters and rescues, then just rescues so we'd at least have some idea of their personality. Dogs seemed to go fast, and RD said it was like shopping for a house, having to jump on one you liked. Most of the dogs were chihuahuas, herding dogs, huskies, and bull terriers, with some black lab mixes. We were looking for a dog that was friendly and liked kids who would not be super bouncy and licky. I asked about a couple dogs, and was told they weren't a good fit for what we were looking for. One day a yellow lab came up, so I sent an inquiry about her, and they said to come meet her. I was excited, she could maybe be a good fit. The soonest we could meet her was at an adoption event, but RD and Reese had a scout camp that night/day, so we'd be at least a couple hours late. The event was up in Sandy, and on the way there, we told the kids we were just looking at dogs, but if we found a great one we could maybe get it. If not, we were going to Trader Joes, which is nearby. Reese said he really watned to get a dog so he didnt have to go to TJ's. We arrived several hours after the adoption event started. RD suggested we have a family prayer to have the Spirit as we considered dogs, and Cameron said the prayer, including a request that we'd get a dog. When we walked in I asked about Alexia, but she had just been adopted. I was pretty disappointed, but they wanted to show us another dog they thought might be a good fit. He was tan and black, mostly black, a beagle shepherd mix (guesses) named pepper jack. He was scared, but was very calm and let the kids pet him. Aubree didn't really want to get too close, but when he was back in his crate she said she wanted to get him. The other kids wanted to meet another dog, a black lab mix, who was friendly and just a bit bouncy, but Aubree was not interested. OF course the kids would want a black dog. We took pepper jack for a little walk, and he warmed up a bit to the kids. He was so calm, mellow, and medium sized, he seemed a good fit for Aubree, and all the kids agreed they liked him. So we brought him home!
The kids had discussed boy and girl names before we went to see the
dogs, and actually all agreed on a name. Since that was nothing short of
miraculous, we went along with it, though it's a bit of a mouthful. This is Padfoot.
He's a stray from a Native American reservation in New Mexico, between 1 and 2. RD likes that he's a fellow native. He's very wary and shy, and low energy, but enjoys all the pats and rubbing we love to give him. I think it'll take a long time for him to attach to us, and he doesn't know how to play with us or dog toys yet. I worry a bit he's not friendly/active enough for the older three, but his mellowness is perfect for Aubree. I did cheer inside when we were coming home and our anxious kid (for whom we mostly got the dog) said "I like that he's like me, you know, kinda scared".
Sunday, October 16, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment