Monday, August 22, 2016

We're going to get a dog.

It's actually pretty scary, saying it for sure. I've always hedged, saying we should, or probably will, get a dog. When I was a kid, I knew I was going to have dogs and cats and horses at least. Now, I wonder if the inconvenience will be worth it. yeah you love pets, but they aren't really part of your eternal family like babies, who are utterly worth all the inconvenience. And the pooping everywhere doesn't ever end. Ever!
But we've thought for awhile a pet would be really helpful for one of the kids in particular, and we always told them we "could" get a pet when we owned a house. Though what kind has been debated.
While we were at Gramp and Grandma's, the three older kids hovered and thoroughly loved their dog Koda. They made sure we got a photo with him.

He's a great dog, and only hid from them a couple times a day :) Aubree was equal parts terrified and fascinated by him; if he was laying down she was ok, and would pet him, and even eventually read him a story and sang him a song! But if he was standing, she screeched for someone to hold him as she sprinted past him. She wouldn't even help Gramp refilll the birdseed with Koda in the yard unless I held him.

Koda helped comfort them when we were on our trip, and the older kids all said we should get a dog like him. Even Reese, (who has said he doesn't want a dog cause it'll poop in the yard so he can't play soccer), said we should get one like him. Though he hasn't gone as far to offer to pick up poop. Let's not get crazy.
So on our drive to RMNP, we decided we really will get a dog.
AAhh! We're committing. But it may take a while to decide when, what, and how. I favor a goldendoodle, but they seem to be absurdly expensive, and I don't know much about dogs. And RD and I agreeing on one is probably the biggest hurdle; I think a smaller one would be better for Bree, RD thinks they are hawk bait.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's exciting and scary! James will be even more excited to come visit you guys!

Rose Marie said...

You won't be sorry! But I do disagree with you about them not being eternal! I KNOW I will see my beloved pets again! Pets are such a calming force. And...some people like me...get along better with dogs than I do people. And...I agree with RD...little ones ARE hawk bait and they are barkers! Enjoy making the memories with your furry pet!!