Monday, May 9, 2016

Shining moment

 Sometimes I get frustrated, discouraged, and annoyed, and it often has to do with cleaning up after the trail of disaster left in the wake of life with our kids. I have to either live in the mess all day, or clean it up all day, so they can get home and start all over again. It gets kinda annoying to tell the kids over and over to take shoes off, hang up jackets, put books and papers strewn all over the house away, close and/or put away the bags and boxes of food they eat, etc. I'm pretty sure no one would accuse me of being ocd about keeping everything neat, and there are a lot more important things to spend my life doing than cleaning, but at the same time,  having a messy home is stressful, and learning to take care of your stuff is a life-skill they need to learn.

I don't have a great solution for the clutter problem, but the other day Cameron wanted to shower in our bathroom instead of the one the kids share. I let him, and when I saw him walking out without the towel he used, I had to remind him to go find and hang up his towel. When I went in later to check if he'd cleared out his clothes, I noticed the glass shower door had been wiped off with the squeegee I'd put in there. Later on I asked Cameron if he had used the squeegee, and he said, "yeah, I overheard some teachers talking in the hall at school one time about wiping down shower doors to keep them clean, and thought about how we had a door. Since you had a squeegee there, I thought you'd like me to use it to keep it clean."
Isn't that so amazing! That meant so much to me. I think I can go a week on that!

1 comment: