Friday, December 4, 2015

At the end of the day

Image result for the book thief movie
            Image result for jurassic world        VS





RD almost always comes home for lunch, which we both love. A couple fridays ago was a BSU game, and so his parking lot gets kicked out of their (paid for) parking spots, so BSU can sell them to tailgaters. Point being, he has a hard time getting a parking spot that morning, let alone trying to leave and come back for lunch, so today he stayed on campus, had the $1.00 lunch at the LDS institute building, and called me to chat during his break.

We were trying to potty-train Aubree, and I'd been sick all week (that's a great combo by the way), so we talked about watching a movie together at home for date night.
I suggested we watch The Book Thief that we'd bought for a couple bucks (cheap as renting!). RD acknowledged we could do it,  but a few minutes later asked if I'd be interested in watching Jurassic World. I wouldn't rent it mysef, but I'd watch it with him if he wanted to sometime, I said, and then realized he was talking about tonight. So I asked if that was what he meant, and he laughed, and we both laughed at our rather differing tastes in shows. We talked about how he likes the action shows, and I like the documentary/dramas and "fixer-upper"s, and why that is. While part of it is our personalities, it also has a lot to do with what we do during our days.

RD has always enjoyed action movies, but especially since dealing with people's real life tragedy and trauma everyday, the last thing he wants to watch at the end of a day is some tear-wrenching documentary or life/relationship exploring drama. And while I know and cherish the profound meaning in staying home and raising four kids and creating a peaceful home, a lot of my time is spent doing the same rather mundane tasks (well, the potty-training isn't without it's excitement and drama, but you know). So I love the shows that have depth and explore meaning and possibilities and relationships. And since a lot of my time is spent trying to get people to get along, watching people fight and shoot at each other is really not appealing. At the end of the day, we want a break from what we've been doing all week.

So I reminded RD that the last movie we saw was some Bourne show (they're all so similar, I can't keep track) so we watched the Book Thief.
And I'm pretty sure the next time it'll be Jurassic World. Especially since the movie version of the Book Thief has most of the events, but none of the story of the book, so it was pretty much just tragedy with no closure or meaning. Even The Bicycle Thief was better.
well, maybe.

No comments: