Wednesday, May 6, 2015

pefectly ordinary

There was this country song I liked when I was younger about this guy who figures out an ordinary life is what he really wants.  I've always wanted an 'ordinary life', but I think it needs a different name. I don't have any great desire to change the world, or travel it, or be on the cutting edge, or be in charge of something cool. But an 'ordinary' life is not just typical. I don't need big drama or adventures, but ordinary is such an inadequate description for our lives, even if they don't attract attention. The battle within ourselves to reach our potential, be who we want, and become like Christ  is dramatic enough, right?! A marriage where we both love to have lunch together, everyday, cause we love being around each other, where I yell and hug him when he gets home, and know what flavor of italian soda syrup to get him for a surprise, where we work together on projects and budgets, counsel and pray together about our testimonies and future, is not just "ordinary", even if everyone has it. A family that laughs together, is kind when someone's having a hard time, talks about anything and everything (including long descriptions of characters in the Warrior books!), and cheers each other on, whether at a game or doing homework feels special even in the "ordinary".
Saturday night RD wanted to eat outside, so we got our folding table/chairs, and set up the six of us, plus two strollers of dolls, around a four-person card table, feasting on a dinner of hot dogs/burgers, luscious pineapple, homegrown/made grape jello with berries, and savory sweet potato fries. The sun was shining and the breeze was blowing, as we sat in the shade of our tree. Cameron couldn't sit for long, getting up to describe the day's minecraft saga, as Reese grinned and chimed in. RD and I sat by each other, and Aubree kept busy toodling about the yard, taking care of and feeding her babies, then carrying one around as she kicked a ball from one goal into the other. We all joked, and Grace and Reese played catch with each other.
It was ordinary, and it was perfect.


1 comment:

Dad said...

How blessed you are to have (and to recognize) the gift of unity and harmony in your family. The phrase that comes to my mind for that is "filling the measure of (our) creation and having joy therein".