Thursday, October 2, 2014

Miserable

We are having a fairly miserable week. Someone had their tonsils out this Monday, and it's been tough. The first day and so wasn't bad, but the second night of getting up every couple hours to administer medicine started to wear on us. As well as the continual cry fests, tears, and complaints from the other kids that they didn't get what he got to have. Every time he had something. Then, the poor patient threw up several times taking medicine, and was done taking the awful tasting stuff. Which of course put him in a lot of pain, and he was crying as he blamed us for putting him through it, refusing to take medicine or drink anything. Now we are in a yo-yo of getting into a lot of pain, explain/coerce/bribe/mad/anything for 30-40 minutes to get him to take pain-killers, finally get some medicine in, and start all over again. I feel so bad for him that it hurts so much, and know it is so hard to feel terrible for so long, but It is so frustrating to know, provide, and encourage him to do the essential things to feel better, and have him refuse as he complains about the pain.
As I was up during the night trying to not get mad at his refusal to help himself, I wondered if I am often like that with God and doing the essentials He's commanded, wanting the pain to stop without doing what will make it better. I'd really like to just naturally take it all with a smile and incredible patience, but I've had to work at it A Lot this week! I kinda wish the road to being a better person didn't involve so much work :)

Update: we discovered a day or so later, as Cameron refused to take anything but was still throwing up many times, that he is sick from a stomach bug. Poor kid is exhausted and in misery from having his tonsils out AND being sick in the same week! I wonder if he got it at the hospital. But no fever, so I don't think it's the flu, and so far no one else is throwing up.... Fingers crossed. I keep praying and hoping his ordeal ends soon. He was already skinny, but he's wasting away! My heart aches seeing his now-thin pale face with chapped lips. I feel so helpless, and just want to cuddle him.

1 comment:

kmg said...

Wouldn't that be nice!!! BTW...who had their tonsils out???