Friday, September 5, 2014

Courage

RD had his birthday!! I am so glad he was born when he was; a few weeks later, and he might have not come to BYU fall semester, and I may not have met him! But, he was meant to come to BYU. and Me.

He blesses all of us with his kindness, fun, help, protection, perseverance, and a zillion other ways that I wrote many of down for him in a book. Even though he is imperfect, like me, he is perfect for me. We balance each other out so beautifully, we make a great team. I've been thinking for awhile about how he gives me courage. Though my parents perhaps have a different outlook, I have always been a low-risk person. Risky? not for me, except for horseback riding, which really isn't an extreme sport. This kept me out of a lot of trouble, but would also keep me from doing things worthwhile --apply for a program? interview for a job? open up to someone? go to an Alaska bush village for a summer? take on a school district to advocate for what is needed? willingly walk into 9 months of debilitating illness? go on roadtrips with kids?
I just shrink inside when I think about doing hard stuff on my own. When I have RD with me, I can do so much more. When we were in Provo, Cameron was a baby, Reese was just in his first year of wearing hearing aids and all the struggle that came with that, and RD was busy all the time, we saw the painting "Into the storm" by Byron Pixton in the July 2006 Ensign, of pioneers pulling their handcarts into the brewing storm. That was how our life felt. RD loves that painting, and to me that is who he is, faithful and courageous to walk into the storms, and knows we can get through it as we rely on Jesus Christ. Indeed, early in our marriage, I relied on him too much instead of my Saviour, and had to learn to borrow my own strength through Him. But still, RD is my inspiration, the piece of me that gives me courage to take risks, which has rewarded me on so many levels. He believes in me, and tells me so, and encourages me to do and be what I want. I have grown so much through  his example and way of being, and I am so grateful for that gift to me. He is an example of Christ to me, and I love him so much.
Which makes any birthday present I get him totally inadequate. it  really stinks!

4 comments:

Dad said...

I have no doubt this will be his best gift of all. What was it Emerson said? "Rings and Jewels are but apologies for gifts, the only real gift is a gift of self."
That's what you gave him, that's what your mother has given me, and we love and cheer for both of you.

Dad said...

I have no doubt this will be his best gift of all. What was it Emerson said? "Rings and Jewels are but apologies for gifts, the only real gift is a gift of self."
That's what you gave him, that's what your mother has given me, and we love and cheer for both of you.

Dad said...

I have no doubt this will be his best gift of all. What was it Emerson said? "Rings and Jewels are but apologies for gifts, the only real gift is a gift of self."
That's what you gave him, that's what your mother has given me, and we love and cheer for both of you.

Dad said...

I guess I'm not too good at the mechanics of this blogging thing, am I?