Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Nana

Our trip to MI for 'cousin camp' was wonderful. However, we were grateful to get home when we did, as we had found out RD's great-grandma, and the kids great-great-grandma, whom we know as Nana, had suffered a stroke and wasn't expected to live long. We were able to get home in time for RD to go to see her as soon as we got back, and spend her last afternoon/evening with her.
RD and the older kids had seen her a few days before we left, and I am sad I wasn't there, since they had gone during Aubree's nap. I wish I had more pictures of her, I wish I'd gotten some more stories. I wish she could have heard my high voice better!  I wonder if I'll always have regrets when someone leaves. But I'm so grateful we saw her as much as we did, and so glad I got to know Nana a bit.

We will all miss her, and are so glad we knew her. She was so cheerful and upbeat, grateful and fun. She would always remark on how RD is 'just so handsome!', which of course endeared her to me :), had cookies for the kids, which they loved, and was just a pleasure to be around. She would tell us about growing up here, and painted a picture so different than what we see now. RD and I were intrigued when she told us about making watermelon jam, but when she told us her mother would make it out of the watermelon rinds and sugar, we weren't quite so eager to make it.
Above all, I am grateful to know that because Christ lives, she too will live again, and I will be able to give her a hug, and a real hug, not just one into her recliner!

No comments: