Saturday, August 16, 2014

Grivendell

For the second year my parents have held 'cousin camp', where they bring all available kids/grandkids to their house on a lake in Whitehall MI, which last Christmas was named Grivendell.
It is a fantasy adventure at Grivendell

I went out several days earlier than RD, and those three and a half days were good to see family, but I missed RD a lot. Aubree found this super-awesome pink tulle skirt (Tiffiny bought for Grace years ago, thanks!) the morning we were leaving, and was determined to wear it. She wore it on the plane, and continued to want it everyday until I did laundry and hid it. it isn't great with sand.  She and her cousin Marcus became bff's, and would run up and down the deck, giggling and shouting, her skirt just swishing and swashing.

Playing the game where Marcus tried to throw the ball over the rail, everyone tries to stop him, and Cameron catches it down below, and throws it back. Marcus liked that one more than anyone.

cheese! they are so fun


On our way to the lake house, we stopped at a rest area before meeting Dave and Liz at Golden Corral for dinner. I think there might have been some drama about drinks or something, but it turned into a fun byway as we played a game of freeze tag, and then sharks and minnows. My mom hadn't played that before, so the kids got to show her, which they were happy to do. Cameron only had on flip flops but still managed to win freeze tag. Aubree liked running around and tagging me. it was a lot of fun, I don't know when I've last played a game of tag with my mom!   Then we went to Golden Corral, which the kids had no memory of, and they were delighted with the buffet concept; as in, endless array of dessert. They did manage a few dinner items, and Reese even took watermelon (a fruit! i did a double-take!) but the highlight of that meal for the kids was definitely the cotton candy. Aubree was very sticky and blue. And she loved that walking around the restaurant was allowed, and took full advantage of my frequent trips with kids.
The next couple days we played on the beach and the kids swam, Marcus and Aubree tagged after each other, and I waited for RD to come. My dad, Reese, Cameron, Aubree and I went on a bike ride, which Reese Loved. The only problem was there wasn't a bike Cameron's size. So he decided to run. Run! For a three-mile bike ride! He took a couple small rides with Aubree in the trailer I was pulling, but he really is the energizer bunny. We all loved it, and when we were done Dave took Marcus, Reese, and I think Grace went along with him on another bike ride.  Liz, Mom and I watched "somewhere in Time' to prepare for our Mackinac Island adventure later to come, and while the movie is a groaner, it was still fun to see Grand Hotel, and hang out. almost as good as bonding over a good movie, right Liz!?
Once we picked up RD and came back, Juliana and Brian and their new baby James, as well as Rachel and her kids Blake and Kate had come, and the party started!


2 comments:

Dad said...

Thanks Debbie for the wonderful pictures and recollections. Thanks for your commitment and willingness to come and spend a few days extra with us, even without RD. I am still sorry about the jet skiing, but I will try to make up for it next time.

Dad said...

PS I love the new Yellowstone family picture! Can you email a copy to me?