Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Major Tom

As a kid, I was way into space, I remember when we made my first homemade Estes rocket.  It had a black body with a blood red tip.  It was a wicked paint job if I do say so myself.  I remember launching it as I held my hand to shield the sun to try to catch a glimpse of it disappearing into the azure sky.  I've always wanted to share that experience with my kids, hoping to pass on that enthusiasm onto them.  Well that day had come! After several years of talking about doing it,  I convinced Debbie that we should get a rocket.  So we rushed to Hobby Town and picked out the Estes Sky Twister #1438.  A larger, sleek rocket that nose turns into a helicopter once it dislodged from the rocket body.  (Can you tell how excited I was to get it?!)  Well later that week we found time to put it together.  Admittingly, "We" is stretching it.  Despite it's Skill level being rated as easy to assemble, I found myself doing most of the work.
However, the kids did help with the creation of the launch pad.  In less than an hour, the Sky Twister was go for launch.  We headed over to the soccer fields across from our house, trying to walk briskly, yet non-nonchalantly out of sight of fellow walkers as we weren't sure how legal it was to launch this thing.  :)  Well we set up in a large open area, with the plan to complete 3 launches.  Cameron was the first launchee and we all counted down, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. aaaaaand, nothing.  Houston, we have a problem.
The kids, as well as myself were a bit frustrated.  We waited the mandatory 1 minute before I could check out any issues.  I figured out what might be the problem and we counted again.  Cameron slammed his finger down on the ignition key and off went the rocket!  The kids were totally surprised by the fire from the engine and the swiftness of the rocket as it jetted into the sky.  They loved chasing down the rocket as it fell from the heights above!
Grace was excited to go next and after setting it up once more, the countdown began.  With a flash, the rocket soared through the air... then SYSTEM FAILURE!  The nose did not dislodge from the rocket body and it quickly moved from rocket status to missile status.  It plummeted nose first and planted itself perpendicular to the ground causing massive damage to the rocket body, not to mention leaving a nice hole in the field.  Reese was pretty upset about the seemingly irreparable rocket as he didn't get his turn (he's all about fairness right now!) But, I think I can fix it and once again help our Sky Twister take flight, taking my fond childhood memories with it!

No comments: