Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

I am so lucky.
I got sent to a wonderful family. My dad has always been there, as my superhero when I was little, a steady rock during my teen years, and a cheerleader and supporter as I left the nest. What thanks can suffice for a person whose life is dedicated to leading me to joy and peace through knowing God's plan for me? My dad has taught me so much, but the most important has been who I am, a daughter of God. And knowing that has made all the difference in my life.
Sometimes I think Father's Day gets a bit of a gyp. Fathers certainly seems to be reduced to an optional, incompetent figure in pop culture. On mother's day i hear a lot about women not liking it, feeling inadequate, resenting it, but I don't hear that about Father's Day, and they even have someone perfect to compare themselves to! I am sure I will have a relationship with my heavenly mother, but right now, my Heavenly Father is the one I rejoice in, plead to, and run to for comfort, understanding, and power to be better. I was telling a friend how He guides my life, and when she told me I was so  lucky to know that, it reminded me how precious and hard-won that knowledge is.
So sometimes I regret how little credit men and fathers seem to get. There are so many wonderful men that do their best to love, care for, guide and protect their families, and others around them. Their influence can have so much power in so many peoples lives. I am SO lucky I married RD. He will tell you he doesn't deserve me, only he's right in the opposite way. He is so good, so much more than I.  His capacity for love, mercy, and endurance amazes me. Our kids are so lucky they have him as their father.

Parenting is so hard sometimes! While our adventures have sometimes left me wondering if I can make it, with him beside me, I have the courage to carry on and keep trying. I don't know how many times I have asked him if I can do it, and he always encourages me.  He inspires and lifts me, and I admire and adore him.  I love you so much RD.
I am so lucky.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts, and thanks for taking time to express them. They mean a lot to me.
To bad there isn't a Daughters Day so I could tell you what a joy you are to your parents, and a blessing to our family. Maybe I'll have to make one up.