Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

So RD brought me my favorite breakfast this morning, and my kids yelled "Happy Mother's Day!" and then Cameron and Grace asked "can I have some of your breakfast?". We went to church, and Reese took the cushy chair I've been targeting since it doesn't hurt my back as much. It makes me think about how my mom must have put up with an awful lot! Happy Mother's Day and Thanks to my fantabulous Mom, and to all the wonderful women who have 'mothered' me and my kids! I seem to know more and more women who want to have kids, but can't. I know I've not been able to have some 'righteous desires' that I really want, and don't know how hard it'd be to not have kids, but it's got to be very difficult. But I do know there are many women who have blessed my life and those of my kids by their nurturing, and I second Elder Ballard when he says "There is nothing in this world as personal, as nurturing, or as life-changing as the influence of a righteous woman." I think most of them haven't realized how much their nurturing/friendship/influence has meant to me. I need to better about saying thanks, so Thank You!
     I've got to say, I am so glad I belong to a church who values children and motherhood. Lately I've heard a lot of people ask me "are you due any day now?" and when I say I have six weeks left, they say something about how I look ready any day, or must be having a big baby, or are just surprised. (sigh- yes, I'm big... usually pregnant women look pretty big,) But I don't know  if I've heard that more yet than "another baby?!" or "was it planned?!"  or "four kids?! wow". It is virtually only within the gospel context that I get any support or validation that having kids is wonderful, and I'm not either nuts, irresponsible or have a selfish ego for having kids and over-populating the planet.
      The perspective of motherhood from God, and the gospel of Christ, totally changes how I raise my kids, and my attitude about it, and I am so grateful for it. There are days I am so frustrated with Reese/Cameron/Grace I wonder why we're having another kid when I am doing such a crappy job with the kids we got, and there are days I am amazed at Reese/Cameron/Grace and so glad they are part of my family. But it is so nice to have validation from leaders that it's normal! I laugh when I read from "Magnifying the Sanctity of our Homes" from Helping and Healing our Families that "The decision about how to use time in the home is difficult. the crucial choices between reading a book to a toddler and mopping the floor are constant challenges of balance that can tax even the most organized and intentional parent" because those tasks are so trivial, but it is so true! So much of being at home with kids can seem like monotonous drudgery, but those everyday tasks are the way we connect with and teach our kids. 
Anyway, just wanted to be one more voice in this world that kids and motherhood are awesome, and all you glorious women out there have an amazing power. Way to be!



2 comments:

Nate King said...

Leslie and I know how wonderful a mother you are, Debbie! You guys have such a great family. Yes, even when the kids aren't getting along or doing what you would like them to do. Way to go, overpopulating the earth with good kids who have loving parents! We get a lot of similar comments, including the following:
- "Do you think you are finished yet?" (in a voice that suggests we should have been finished having kids about two or three ago)
- "So, are they going to have a show about you?"
- And my favorite, "I heard that Mormons get free tuition if they have six kids." (Wouldn't that be nice?)
Anyway, we appreciate your friendship and we look up to you and your family, Debbie. Happy belated Mothers' Day!

Dad said...

Debbie
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us -- it is so far away, I wish we could be there to share the highlights and struggles more frequently. I can tell you with confidence that the memories of the struggles will fade, and the gratitude you feel for your children and the faith you have in the Lord's plan for families will grow until it fills your life with joy. Every day that you invest your time and love in your children adds to the reservoir of faith they will need and use to guide their own lives. Our faith and prayers are with you and your new daughter, and we are anxious to see all of some time this summer. We love you!
Dad.