So I apologize, I don't usually have to vent to the world, but I have run across a problem here that I don't know how to deal with.
People I am somewhat, or barely acquainted with, keep rubbing my stomach. Now a few of my friends have given my ever-burgeoning middle a quick little pat once or twice, which isn't a huge deal for me. They're my friends, and they're excited for me. I'm talking about people (thankfully so far it's only been women) I know of, or have maybe talked to once or twice, coming up, rubbing me. And maybe even saying stuff like "hi baby, how are you"? or even "oh, are we having a baby?" I really considered saying 'no, but I am'.
I just don't know how to respond. I understand people are excited for me, and I AM very excited for this baby. But why in the world do they think it's ok to rub my body? I don't want to be rude, or insensitive, like they are being, but I am also not ok with it.
RD's given me some ideas to say, but they seem too long to remember when I'm in that moment of panic when all I'm thinking is "stop!"
I know this isn't unique to me.... help! What can I say?
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Touch their belly back! No, I'm joking! SUCH an awkward situation for everyone. The only thing I can think of is just be honest and when they come up and do that, back away and say, "I'm sorry, I'm uncomfortable with people touching my belly. Especially without asking." A little blunt, but what else can you be, they are being a little presuming when they invade your personal space.
I'm sorry for you Debbie. I don't have any real advise, but I'd say a tee shirt should do the trick.
http://www.cafepress.com/+maternity_dark_tshirt,264139760
Post a Comment