I recently read an article about how saying "Merry Christmas" was making a comeback in the way of marketing, replacing "Happy Holidays" due to a number of surveys which found that over 90% of those surveyed would be celebrating "Christmas" this year. My hope is that within those 90%, they will be celebrating Christ as the reason for the Season. I'm all about supporting and tolerating beliefs and values that differ from my own, but Christmas IS the remembrance of that sacred moment of His birth. I find myself easily getting "wrapped" up in the anticipation secular celebrations and lose track of the path leading to a lowly manger. This poem is something that I wrote to help remind me of what I want my priorities to be this season, and every one to come.
His Reason
Sunk in his chair, the old man sat
Staring at the fire’s dancing light.
His eyes were wet beneath his hat
On this snowy Christmas Eve night.
No presents adorned his tree well-lit,
The stockings were empty as well.
But his tears belonged to none of it,
On deeper things, his heart did dwell.
Then tenderly he knelt on the ground
With his hat pulled gently from his head.
And bowed with humility profound,
He uttered a simple prayer, which said:
“Father, on your errand I’ve wanted to be,
Whose Son I’ve tried to emulate.
But me and my purpose to point all to thee,
For years they’ve been trying to separate.
I have strived to give to every stranger,
To help all remember our Savior’s birth.
But that priceless gift wrapped in a manger
Is replaced by presents of little worth.
Please bless my dear friends to look right through
The boxes and bow, reindeer and elves.
To see the reason for Christmas anew,
And feel the love of thy Son for themselves.”
With renewed strength he took to his feet,
His eyes now bright with joy.
His yearly purpose would not see defeat,
To bless every girl and boy.
I hope I can try to give as He would give, without looking for the tinseled reward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I didn't know my son could write poetry, let alone such beautiful poetry. Merry Christmas.
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment