OK, so I know that sometimes on Mother's Day I get sad or feel overwhelmed with the responsibility it is to be a mom, hear of others struggles with having kids or with moms or various aspects of not reaching the ideal of motherhood, but listening to different opinions today, I just wanted to share mine.
I love being a mom. Let me say, I LOVE being a mom, and I love staying at home with my kids. I don't love it cause my kids are so well-behaved, appreciative, and immediately gratifying. I feel inadequate, frustrated, annoyed, and monotony in the day-to-day. But I found so much validation in the counsel that annoying phases our kids go through will pass (right now that's Grace's two-ism), and no one could do a better job even if they are more trained or educated than me just by my virtue of being their mother (i don't have references, but I can find them!). Of course I get tired of trying to be pleasant all the time, to kids who need so much, but when I view things as opportunities for growth instead of drudgery, I love my job so much more. Looking for those shining moments, those glimpses of eternity, they are scattered all over. Like Grace sneaking into our room in the morning, putting her chin in her hands, asking 'sleeping mommy?", or Cameron conquering the buoy swing and being more confident in himself, or hearing Reese go over to help Grace on his own. What a great job we all have, to nurture and bring others to Christ. That's what makes me keep going when I feel I can't do enough, when I'm not the mom I want to be. This is God's work, and my glory is being part of His work. There's no way I could do it without His help, and I'm so glad my kids have Him to rely on instead of just me! How cool that we can all be part of that work; I have received that from my mom, from sisters and friends in wards, I see other women do it, my sister on a mission now is doing it. So happy mother's day to all you wonderful women, you are so awesome!
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for your beautifully written post. I needed to hear that today! We miss you TONS!
You have such a sweet family!! I love the new picture of Grace on the sidebar.
Debbie, that was a great post. Thank you for sharing!
thanks for the sweet, fresh perspective. I needed this today!
Post a Comment