Friday, February 26, 2010

Crazy travel

RD was supposed to go to a conference last thursday through saturday with several other clinicians in Juneau. He got up at 4:30 am to get there by 5 am for the 6 am flight to Juneau; dense fog prevented the plane from take-ff, so he came back home, went to work, and left agian at 5:30 for the 6:30 pm flight; I thought he must have made it when I hadn't heard anything by 7, but he came back after 7:30... fog was still too bad! They all tried again friday morning; once agian I thought he'd made it, but then he called at 8:30!! There had been a medical emergency after they had left the gate, and then the fog had come back in Jueau. Juneau is only a 20-30 min flight away, but no planes were able to go there for six days, since they get a lot of fog there. Everyone at work lamented the difficulty flying in SE AK in the winter, and told RD stories of being rerouted to Seattle or Anchorage when Juneau was fogged in, with no where to stay and flights out booked. I'm glad he didn't get stuck in juneau! His director had taken the ferry (which was also a day late) and got stuck in Jueanu for two days. I can't imagine trying to do all that with kiddos; maybe it's a good thing we havn't been able to get an appt. with an audiologist in Anchorage yet!

So, we had made this long list of things for RD to get in juneau since they have stores... socks, underwear, shirts, laundry hamper etc, and we were also going to get Grace's birthday presents there. Her birthday is next saturday, so we're not sure what to do. To get them here in time online would cost a lot for shipping, but stuff here is pretty pricey and very limited. RD's planning on going to another conference in the middle of March to Anchorage; is it really bad of us to get her present late? I kind of think the whole point of birthdays is to celebrate that person that day, but then I don't want to spend money on something that's here instead of what we think she'd like. Is she going to look back at her 2 year birthday and ask where the pictures of her opening presents are? I need help not feeling bad about one of them.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I think it's okay. If you are really worried, see if there is something you can hand-make just so you and she know you did give her something ON her birthday. That's crazy about the fog. Good luck next time RD.