Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thimbleberry and Heart Lake Hike


Last Saturday was a beautiful sunny day (of course around 30 F...not much variation here), so we decided to try out a hike. The first since our bear experience! It was so wonderful to get out and be able to enjoy the outdoors. It really helped me feel like life here was more 'normal', doing something we did a lot in CO.
We first went up to Thimbleberry lake, where the boys had lots of fun throwing rocks onto the ice, sliding in a little ice stream, and fooling around. The hike was only 1/3 mile, and the kids were doing well, so we decided to keep going up to Heart Lake. Along the way, the boys loved smashing the ice that was formed in these cool little icicles all connected at the top, but it wasn't fun enough to prevent complaining about how long it was:)(2.6 miles total) It was a gorgeous hike, but pretty slippery...there's just so much frost/ice covering everything we really need YakTraks or something. Heart Lake was very serene and pretty. The boys 'skipped' rocks over the ice; it made a fun whistling sound as it zoomed out to the center of the Lake.
We were all happy to get back home to hot cocoa and warm up, but it was a fun day! Funny how the little things can make a place more familiar and comfortable!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

How fun! Yeah for you for braving the cold. I'm envious of your outdoor beauty that seems so close to you. Love ya.

Hawke said...

It sounds like a beautiful place. You are brave to take them all hiking. I hired a babysitter to come every week day at 4:15 for an hour and I have been getting out and walking. It has snowed a ton here and it has been really beautiful. Now it got warmer and we have a ton of slush everywhere--hopefully it doesn't turn to ice. Have you got all your presents yet? It has taken me awhile to get in the Christmas spirit, but it is coming slowly. We just decorated yesterday. I am happy with how the decorations look in our new house. I think I am going to get rid of some of the old ones though. I made some cream cheese and orange marmalade stuffed bread for a pot-luck we are going to tonight. I am crossing my fingers that it turns out b/c it is an experiment. It looked iffy when I put it in the oven. I meant for this to be a comment and it turned into more of an email. I hope you guys are doing well!! Thanks for doing such a fabulous blog Debbie.
Love,
Heather