We were so excited to get a GPS for christmas, and after a weekend figuring it all out, RD led us on our first geocache!!! Those that have never heard of geocaching, it is where people hide a container at specific GPS coordinates and then someone else puts in those coordinates and goes on a treasure hunt to find it. The rules are simple. If you take a treasure out of of the cache, put one back in. It was so fun for the boys to have a purpose to our hike, and finding a 'treasure' on the hike really helped. We have about 10 or so in Sitka we can get to without a boat, and chose Mosquito Cove for our first adventure. This is the same site we saw the bear, which worried the kids a little, but didn't slow them down. It was a very foggy morning, about 50 ft visibility when we started, but cleared into a beautiful sunny day by the time we left, which made for some awesome interactions between light and wet. It was amazing walking through this primeval forest carpeted by green moss, with the ocean visible through a few trees. The fog on the water was a little eerie, like we were alone on this otherworldly island (not too far from the truth). We detoured to a little beach, where the mist almost refracted the light into a sideways rainbow... I thought it was neat.
Anyway, it was just a breathtaking hike. At one point with the sunlight we could see the moisture droplets in the air.... how cool! I really love the beauty that surrounds us here.
SO, with the boys checking the GPS along the way, we made it to within 15 ft of the cache. The forest limited the preciseness of the location, and we were left to find it with a clue.."a fallen tree and a stump". Well, we were in a forest full of..... fallen trees and stumps!!!!! Fortunately, the boys were happy to jump around on the springy moss and needles, and slide down the wet mossy trees. After checking and rechecking about 8 stumps and log combinations in a 20 ft radius, and 45 minutes later as we were about to leave, RD spotted a piece of bark that looked placed... and behind it was the cache, yeah!!!!
We traded a metallic fishing ornament for a totem crest pin, and headed back on the trail. We had a few rough spots (Reese got a huge bruise/bump from falling on a stump, Grace wasn't happy and wanted to be held for the last half) but we've learned those are to be expected, and we had a great time!! Too bad there are only 9 more.... we'll have to space them out and make some more!
If you're interested in treasure huntin', we'd love to tell you about it or you can check it out at: www.geocaching.com.
Here we are, victorious with our cache! It was an awesome family activity!
9 comments:
that is probably the coolest thing i have heard of! so fun! and it is just beautiful up there. gorgeous pictures! :)
Dear Debbie;
Your photography is amazing and we love to follow the stories and adventures. I don't know if you can see when we visit but we check it frequently -- thanks for making it available to us.
Happy New Year
Love Dad
What an awesome thing to do! We'll have to see if there's anything like that in our area...and get a GPS...
What a beautiful place to live. I have never heard of geocaching before, it sounds exciting.
Such lucky people! So breathtaking! I love hiking!
Those are some amazing pictures! As is the temple pic. I wish I knew how to take pictures. I enjoy reading your blog every once in a while! So thanks for letting sharing stories from Alaska : ) I've always wanted to live there for a little while.
What an amazingly beautiful place you are in (and you are a great photographer to capture it). Nate says it looks like a place Yoda would be in. If that doesn't get ya excited . . .
Great pictures! Wow! Wish I was as good at photography! How fun!! Miss you guys! been busy painting (walls) and fixing up the house, I'll call you this week! (hugs)
Great pictures! Wow! Wish I was as good at photography! How fun!! Miss you guys! been busy painting (walls) and fixing up the house, I'll call you this week! (hugs)
Post a Comment