I know that I have been greatly influenced and blessed by my own mother, and in ways that I'm sure I'll never fully comprehend until we are all reunited in the eternities. My mom was there for me when I needed her, ready with a heart to listen with and a plate of hot cookies! She was there through good times and bad times. I am thankful for her imperfect strivings to bless me and my brother. Her efforts did not go unrewarded.
I am also grateful for the mother of my wife. Her influence is felt throughout our family and we have been blessed by her steadfastness.
Finally, I wanted to acknowledge the influence of my grandmothers. I am so grateful that they are yet alive to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren as products of their day in and day out sacrifice for their children's well-being that is still being felt through the generations.
I found this poem that I thought would encapsulate some of the gratitude and recognition of a mother's influence in all of our lives.
Before I was myself you made me, me
With love and patience, discipline and tears,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Allowing me to sail upon my sea,
Though well within the headlands of your fears.
Before I was myself you made me, me
With dreams enough of what I was to be
And hopes that would be sculpted by the years,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Relinquishing your powers gradually
To let me shape myself among my peers.
Before I was myself you made me, me,
And being good and wise, you gracefully
As dancers when the last sweet cadence nears
Bit by bit stepped back to set me free.
For love inspires learning naturally:
The mind assents to what the heart reveres.
And so it was through love you made me, me
By slowly stepping back to set me free.
-Unknown
Happy Mothers Day Debbie, Rose Marie, Denise, Grandma Packard, Mama Carol and Grandma Geiger! We love you!
1 comment:
I love the new family photo!
Post a Comment