Thursday, November 13, 2008

Exciting news!

Reese's insurance has approved and allocated funds for new hearing aids!!!! We are so excited! We didn't get to choose his aids when he was two, and he ended up with some that were good, but not great, and that was four years ago... then it was good to have a digital hearing aid that could be programmed to greater amplify the frequencies he had a greater loss in. Phonak, one of the leading co. in the hearing aid world, has just come out with a new line of aids, and they are so awesome! They became available just this month, so it's a little sad Grace wasn't able to get this, but there's no way we would have waited 8 months to amplify her. Anyway, we're trying to decide between three different aids, and I'm so grateful for all the available features. I don't completely understand all the technology, but they all three have adaptive directionality; the aid has artificial intelligence to adapt to different listening situations and block background noise AUTOMATICALLY! no pressing different program buttons. They vary in how many channels they have, 6 , 8, and 16 channels, which are how many different frequencies (how low or high a sound is) you can programs, which is great because Reese's hearing varies at every frequency (9 of them). One of them also has technology to block noise from the wind! We are so grateful for the miracles of modern technology! Reese has been a little resistant to getting new aids, since he will hear different, but when I showed him one model that has a blue and white option, he got totally excited! I know this would be tragic for RD, but I worry a little about having an aid in BYU colors.. what if he doesn't like them in three or five years? nah...


we're also excited to come out to Provo! RD is going to finish his dissertation, and we'll get some R&R with family and friends. Last night Reese asked if he could have a going away party, and i asked why?... he replied cause we're going back to Provo. he thought we were moving back. oh no. I said we're just going to visit, we're going to come back here because this is our home. His face crumpled, and he teared up, saying 'no it's not, provo is our home', and buried his head in his lap to cry. :( I was so sad for him. We talked about wherever our family being is home, but that didn't really convince him...I sure hope he wants to come back with us after we've been in Provo for a week...

2 comments:

JrJr Moreys said...

So exciting! Congratulations!

Clan Sharik said...

Congratulations!!!