So I want to first say that I have no idea if this would have happened this early to Reese if we would still be in Provo, but I highly doubt it. We were all at the grocery store the other day and Cameron and Reese were, again, fighting about who will sit where in the the car-like shopping cart. As the debacle escalated both Debbie and I distinctly heard Reese rebuttal Cameron with the phrase "Buck Off!"... as those words connected with my cochlea, segments of the movie 'A Christmas Story' flew through my mind as the son, in slow motion said "fudge" but he really didn't say fudge. Well with Reese he said Buck , but he really didn't say Buck. He often substitutes Bs for Fs... and well, there were no horses nearby in the store to have some sort of use for the word Buck.
Debbie and I turned slowly to each other with our jaws dragging across the tile floor. As if he wanted to make sure we heard it, "Buck Off" was again echoed across the store. I admit, I had a hard time not smirking a little bit. But I wiped it quickly off my face and took Reese aside and kindly explained that it was a bad word, unless he was talking about horses. You can probably guess that our next FHE was teaching about bad words and why some words were nice and some words were not reverent or respectful. I know he's picking up stuff at school, but the F word... already??? I just don't think we quite prepared ourselves to deal with this quite yet. We've already had a discussion about drugs, alcohol, sex, and... rock n' roll. :) Like I said, I can't guarantee that this wouldn't have happened in Provo, but i have my doubts it would have happened this soon. He's 5 for crying out loud! Have we prepared Reese enough while he was solely under our care to adapt and stand steadfast in the Gospel? Is he ready to be influenced by other views and perspectives other than those from imperfect parents striving to live as Christ would live? When do we start washing mouths out wish soap? :) It's actually really hard for us to let him go and fend for himself, knowing that he will certainly be exposed to ideas, words, deeds, actions that are in direct opposition to what we have taught him and what we believe. But we will hold true to our Faith and do all we can to build his faith and prepare him to be the stripling warrior he's already becoming... and leave the rest to Him who sees all, knows all, and who can bless all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It starts way too early. We got rid of our cable because Hannah was wasting time and developing an attitude, and Rachel's bus driver said the preschoolers she drove last year would swear at her and "flip her off." Preschoolers! I guess that's one thing about being deaf--I can be sure that Rachel has never heard any bad or indecent language!
that's crazy about preschoolers... i guess it'll be bad when Rachel starts signing swear words, but that'd probably not happen for a while!
Hi Guys! It's Kim. I saw your blog on the Despain's. I love it! Ya know, when Justin was really little my sister's friend as a joke used to put her fist up to Justin and ask him if he wanted 5 freckled knuckles. Well, he asked one of the kids in his daycare if he wanted 5 "freckled" knuckles only he said it really fast and it didn't sound like freckled. Needless to say he got a time out and we had a long talk with Justin. I think you guys are doing great! You have an awesome family! And after all the "freckled" tounge twisters and the influences etc...Justin is preparing to go on a mission and it hasn't been so bad. Proverbs 3:5-6. Good Luck!!! P.S. Or you could look at it this way..., R.D, you had the influence of Darrick Despain and you are doing okay. :)
Post a Comment