Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bleeding Blue and White...

It's been a bit since we've written in here... things have been crazy as of late but things are going really well for us!

Some may have questioned my devotion to the beloved BYU Cougars. I thought would share a recent event that my quell all fears and lay to rest any suspicion that I might start bleeding green and white:

As a part of my internship, I have the opportunity to work with the Native American Student Services (NASS) office, which is really awesome. They had a BBQ a week ago to get all those who are Native American together and have a great meal with live Native American drumming as the background music. It really felt great to bring my family along and be a part of the Native community at CSU. Well, as I was talking to someone between bites of hotdogs and dorittos, an older man walked passed and stopped in front of my family. Looking at my boys, he questioned "are these future CSU students?" I replied, "Well, I don't think so, we're pretty big BYU fans," all the while Reese is sporting his BYU shirt. "Well they can like BYU but just come here," he kindly rebutted. "I doubt it, but perhaps there's some middle ground we can talk about." We both laughed and he walked off, talking to other attendees. As he disappeared into the crowd, I asked the woman across the picnic table from me who he was. She matter-of-factly remarked that "that was President Larry Penley... President of Colorado State University!" Well my jaw just about dropped and wondered if I would get my next paycheck. So... if I told the president of CSU that we were BYU fans and that my kids would not be attending his school but a MWC rival
school, I'd say you can be sure that my blood runs blue and white! Go Cougars!

Another exciting event in our lives was the birth of my brother's son Cooper this last Saturday. He lives near my parents in Parker and we were able to see him over the labor day weekend. He is so adorable... I'm sure he gets that from his mom and not his dad! Joking Seth, just joking! It's been a real blessing being close to my parents, grandparents, my brother and his family, and my aunt and uncle. It was so nice to have Debbie's brother and sisters so close while we were in Provo, and now we have my family to be close to for the next year. We hope that we will be able to grow closer to them in many ways before we leave Colorado.

Anyway, just wanted to make a shout out to everyone out there that we are so glad we're friends with you all! We apologize for not talking with some of you as much as we would like, but know our hearts are filled with fond memories of our friendship that will always stay with us.

5 comments:

beccabo said...

Hilarious RD!!! Enjoy your time in CO...we are praying ya'll closer! :)JK!!!!

sambritt said...

You should have asked President Sheepherder if he left his velcro gloves in his car.

KIC said...

That story is AWESOME!!

Despain said...

The funny thing is he had nothing to say to that. He probably wished he could have gone there. Hey RD, why don't you go tell him his wife is ugly and your pay sucks too! You are so awesome! Go cougs! and Sam is right You're just flat sexy.

Dad said...

Just wanted to tell you again how much I enjoy your stories and pictures. I don't always write, but I'm always looking. We miss you all and are looking forward to seeing you in October.