Reese's 16th birthday happened to fall on a day Renée was dealing with viral pneumonia, and the same cold was hitting me hard, so it was a bit tough, but I think we managed to make it a big day!
RD and I decorated the night before, and put out his Lucky Charms for breakfast; one box for him, and another for the rest of the family.
RD picked him up early from school to get lunch at ChickFilA, and they played FIFA with Cameron when he got home. He is very excited to be slightly taller than me now. His hair adds an extra inch, but I've had to concede the height advantage to him.
For dinner he requested chicken cordon bleu, store rolls, corn, and some fruit (which I added cause I wanted some). During dinner we went around and talked about qualities we like in Reese and some of our favorite memories of him. I totally should have written down what everyone said, but I didn't. Some of the favorites were playing or talking soccer with him, watching him play fearless soccer in Sitka against much older kids, his tenderness with babies, including others, and coaxing a sad kid off a top bunk and hugging.
He tried to let Renée open his gifts, but she wasn't really fast enough. I love his smile, and there's nothing like soccer stuff (or Renée) to bring it out.
Reese prefers ice cream over cake, so he got his own container of mint cookies, and he let me make the strawberry ice cream by promising him there'd be no bits.
He decided to make it all the more memorable by staying up all night watching Psych episodes. RD and I watched a couple with him, but we're too old and responsible for others to do crazy stuff like that. They were going to go to NickelMania the next day to celebrate, but Reese ended up deciding to stay home to sleep. I don't think he has any regrets though.
We sure love this guy. He's funny, courageous, calm.I love his hugs, his encouragement, and how he wants to know how I am everyday, after I get his report on school.
Sunday, February 3, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment