Grace had a 3rd grade district-wide track meet last week. Everyone was asked to do three events, and she chose to do the 200 meter, 400 meter, and softball throw. There wasn't a real schedule, and we couldn't be there all day, but we wanted to come cheer for her. I texted her teacher, who very kindly let me know what order they were supposed to be run, and even gave me updates. We went in time to wait around awhile before they ran the 400meter. They had just finished the 100meter, and said the 400 would be finals, best time from the heats winning, and gave no indication when the 200 was going to be run.
She was in the first heat, a bunch of girls all squished along the line, no staggering. Grace ended up in the middle-end, and with a small crack they were off.
Grace wavered around in the back, trying to find a place to run, then went past the struggling group. About halfway round, she got close enough to see, arms pumping, as she started passing girls. Later she told us she was thinking, "well, I don't want to be last, so I better get going". She had been so worried she'd be last, she had been talking about being last on purpose, so no one else would have to be last. We encouraged her to do her best and forget the rest, and I was proud of her for doing her best. As she ran past me I couldn't concentrate on taking pics of her, the overwhelming swelling of cheer bursting out in form of her name. I was surprised how intense my feelings of cheering her were; not that she was going to win, or to beat other girls, but that she is mine and she was doing her best. She ended up coming in around 4th place in her heat, but it was so fun to cheer for her!
We decided to wait around for the 200 meter so we could cheer for her again, but an hour later they were starting 10 heats of some 'finals' for the 400s, which we had thought weren't happening since we were told the 400s were finals already, so we left.
This Mother's Day, the kids did a lot of creative and awesome gifts of time and talent to show me they loved me, and gave me cards and poems cheering me on in my efforts to be their mom. I really need it, and am so grateful for it. What a relief that with all my mistakes and weaknesses, they still cheer for me. They really are kind, good, amazing people.
I guess we all need fans, cheering us on, not in a competition, but in doing our best. I think that's part of mothering, whether to our own kids or others around us. I want to be a better fan for my kids and others. As I reflected on the rush of emotion I felt cheering for Grace, I imagined my and your Heavenly parents cheering and rooting for us, and it is pretty awesome to consider. Happy Mother's Day!! Way to be! You totally rock! Wooo!!!
Sunday, May 14, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment