Sunday, January 1, 2017

Classic Skating

We were trying to find a family activity to do during the break, and since we had no snow to go sledding, we told the kids we were going roller-skating.
As with anything we do, it seems, there was some complaining. The boys really wanted to do laser tag instead, but it's not something we can all do. (I can't cause I hate it, and Aubree's too young. don't know what I'll do when she's old enough).
So we packed em up and drove up to Orem, Grace saying she was car-sick when we were almost there. But we made it, bought passes and rentals, and were on our way into the rink when Aubree started crying and refused to go in, saying she was scared. I eventually talked her in, and we got kids laced up. Bree was too scared to go for awhile, and another kid quickly came back refusing to skate without roller blades. A quick trip to trade gear, and back out.  Grace and Cameron roller blade quite a bit, but I don't know if Reese has ever even skated, so he had quite a learning curve. He was a great sport though, and totally persisted in learning, even though he fell over and over and over. Some guy kept high-fiving him on his recurring slips. He even kept a cheerful attitude about it. Pretty dang amazing for a teenager.

He was going slow enough I tried to convince Bree to get out there by telling her she could go slow with him, or maybe even pass him! She laughed and loved that idea, and when I told Reese about it, he made sure to let her go by him. She was willing to go out with RD, and was soon zooming around the edges on her scooter, usually keeping one foot on the side of the rink.
 In true Reese fashion, Reese picked skating up and by the end was keeping up with the rest of them, though still occasionally fell.
A big group came on the rink towards the end, but by then the kids were all doing well, and they lasted almost two hours! Pretty great.
The car ride and music gave Grace a headache, which turned into a migraine and puking later in the evening on our way to see the festival of lights (which got canceled).


No comments: