Sunday, October 9, 2016

"Den of iniquity"

My parents were out here for some meetings at BYU and came early to spend some time with us and the Beans. They had offered to help us with any of our many projects, so we had them 'help' ( I watched and got tools) tackle our family room.


First they pulled out the cabinets, countertops and cupboards, then pulled off the beadboard (that could actually be pulled off by hand, it was so poorly installed) and the crown moulding and wires strung behind it.

Then they patched the big holes and started pulling down some of the paneling on the ceiling around a big hole in the planking to repair it, to find a huge channel cut into the ceiling almost the whole way across the room, and some diy electrical work including nails through the wiring. Awesome.
Since we couldn't do anything else on the ceiling till we got an electrician in, we (continue use of we loosely) put in baseboard.

I continued on painting and caulking once they left, so now we at least have everything but the ceiling done. I am SO sick of prepping and painting, so I have to push myself to finish up the downstairs living space, but then I'm done. My goal was to paint the whole house by the time it got too cold to open windows, and if we finish the living room/kitchen/hall area we'll have gotten 2/3 done. Good enough. After way too long obssessing over the right mellow yellow, I finally (after yet 2 more samples) picked one. It's not what I thought it'd be, and not perfect, but I like it, and RD's coming round to it, so once again, good enough. Good enough seems to be the theme lately!

No comments: