Saturday, October 17, 2015

Notice the good





mom quote :):

I love this quote. Sometimes the advice to "cherish every moment, kids grow up so fast, don't take any moment for granted, the housework/____work can wait", can feel unrealistic, minimizing, and pejorative. Part of the purpose of being here on earth is to have challenges, experience sorrow and disappointment, failure and suffering, along with the joy, excitement, love, and compassion. Parenting is an exceptional opportunity for those experiences.  So I love this quote, since it acknowledges the reality of mothering in this world, but highlights the way to recognize the magnificent privilege and pleasure it is to create and nurture a beautiful legacy. I too often don't notice the good, the moments of Reese encouraging and thanking Cameron for helping him with laundry, for Grace asking to help me do something when it's faster to do myself, for Cameron's snuggles, and Aubree's eager curiosity. Recognizing more of those moments was really the goal for the blog, but I can still do much better.
Pres. Uchtdorf's talk and  the talk of Elder Lawrence at the  LDS General Conference resonated with me. Elder Lawrence reminded me of the beautifully simple yet profound method God teaches for improving; line upon line. Unlike the rich young man, I already know many things I'd like and need to be better in. I have a list of goals I want to remember on my mirror, and frankly, it can be overwhelming to have that many. I appreciated the wisdom in seeking to know what thing to work on now; we have so long to improve! So now I have a new image on my mirror (I'm still working on taking the other one down; am I really going to let that long list go?!))

Though parenting these kids it really seems like I could really use being perfect about right now.

made with http://angiemakes.com/ clipart

No comments: