I slaughter plants. Like manslaughter, it is unintended, but I still do it. Last week I had to throw away our lucky bamboo that supposedly is really hard to kill... the whole top half had turned yellow.
We have tried a garden a couple times. We got a few peppers, tomatoes, and a fair amount of green beans in Utah, after a year of growing struggling and then dead plants.
A couple years ago I tried growing some tomatoes and squash and zucchini, because the Internet said anyone can grow a zucchini. We didn't get any zucchini, one little squash, and a couple tiny tomatoes. At least the tomato plants were huge, but it was so discouraging, and our plans have been so up in the air, I haven't tried since.
A couple months ago I wanted some fresh basil for dinner, and Trader Joe's had a basil plant for the same price as basil, so I bought the plant so at least it'd last longer and maybe yield more. It seemed like a lot of stalks for one plant, so I split it in two, and planted them. One of the groups lasted for a little while, then succumbed to the fate of my plants, but somehow one of them thrived, and is a beautiful, bountiful source of basil.
The ironic part is that I am the only one in my family who even likes basil. RD will tolerate pesto it if it's the only option, so we don't even have it that often. I LOVE it. I love pesto on sandwiches, pasta, pizza, breakfast burritos, soup, eggs, etc. But I don't know if I can get through all that basil. Of course that'd be the plant that lives.
Saturday, September 19, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment