Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Zions

I LOVE going to National Parks. It all started with Rocky Mountain NP in Estes. Wednesday was our day to go to Zions, and it was going to be a super adventure. We had gone back and forth on taking the kids on a horse-back ride on a trail through Zions or Bryce, and since we are not currently buying a house, we decided to splurge on it. Grace was immediately excited, Cameron got there quickly, but Reese wasn't sure if he even wanted to. We thought it'd be a great experience.
Anyway, I was so anxious about getting to the park, finding parking, and doing the hike in time for the ride, but as we got situated quickly and easily,  I was giddy as we walked up to the shuttles to the park. A fun adventure, trails and beauty awaits, awesome!

We took the shuttle to the last stop, checking out the park from the road, getting out at the end to check it out. We went down to the Lower Emerald Pools hike. The trail was shaded more than I expected, meandering along the river, and carved int othe cliff behind the falls, the kids exclaiming as they ducked under the water spray casting across the path. The sun illuminated the spray once we went through it, showing how far out it went.



I was taking a pic, and looked up to see the gang in a typical pose.. called 'waiting for mom'.
guess it just runs in the family, cause we went on to get started on lunch while my mom took some pics.
We had an overpriced-but-worth-it-cause-we're-hungry! lunch at the visitor center, then Grandma and Grandpa so very kindly took Aubree back to the condo while we headed off to our ride. I was so glad all of us got to go together! The age limit was 7, which Grace had just turned a few weeks ago, so it was great timing. We got our mounts; Reese was very grateful to get a horse, Bridget, instead of the mule he was originally sent to. Grace rode Tex, who had earlier that day spooked at some rocks brought in to fix the trail, so she was led; she was disapointed, and we were very relieved. and appreciated the wrangler told her 'why' she was being led.  ;D
Cameron got a mule named Lil Joe, who was super slow. He got a whip to keep Joe going, and used it the whole way! it wasn't very effective. could have been cameron's gentle tapping.




Reese soon said he could see why I liked riding so much, and that it was really cool. He and Cameron joked most of the ride, chatting about the ride and their horses. Bridget's nose was in Joe's tail most of the time, so they were really close for easy conversation. Grace was too far away for us to talk to, but she seemed pretty happy.
We passed a wishing rock we all touched there and back (Cameron wished he would be a good fisherman, and then that Joe would hurry up, Grace wished for a horse, and everyone would follow the commandments), a cactus garden, and turned around at a spot to view the Three Patriarchs.
 RD loved that there was Mt. Moroni behind Jacob Peak.(not pictured sorry)
The kids talked about the ride all the way home, which was about an hour, so I think it was worth it. RD and I were a bit sore, but the kids seemed to bounce back quickly.
We were tired enough from our day we ate dinner and had a movie night. We watched 'Believe', a soccer movie we almost got for Reese for Christmas. I am so glad I didn't waste more than a few hours on that movie.
Then we crashed, exhausted from a fabulous day.

No comments: