Saturday, February 7, 2015

Summertime

Today, Saturday Feb 7, the high was a sunny 66 * F.
!!!!
I was reading a scrapbook with Aubree a couple days ago, about a day in a November that was in the low 60's our first fall here, and the kids played in the sprinkler.
We've adjusted too much to do that, but it was an awesome day.
We went across the street to ride bikes at Simplot, where it was so windy Reese was pushed on the scooter enough he didn't have to push. Grace was working on riding her two-wheeler, which was broken most of the fall, and when we fixed it there was snow. She did great! Aubree loved riding her 'bike' (scooter), RD pushed/carried the surplus vehicles (stroller/scooter/or bike) and I rode Cameron's and then Reese's bike as a balance bike when they wanted a scooter. I much prefer bikes with nice wide padded seats, but it was pretty fun still. I really want a cruiser. I think family bike rides would be super fun, assuming I have the aforementioned seat. The only tricky part was trying to get Aubree and I across the crosswalk with her scooter and Reese's bike, since everyone else was far ahead of us, but it was fine.
After lunch RD and I worked on the yard and garage. Every spring I think we won't be in this house come fall, and wonder if it's worth spending all the time pruning the grape vines. yet here we still are, so I got them trimmed and shaped and tied up today. And RD chopped up the tree we had at Christmas. We unfortunately forgot to put it out the one week in January they collect them, sigh. well, actually, as the garbage truck pulled up to our house, I thought, oh no! the tree, and ran out back to see if maybe RD had chopped it up and put it out, and it was still sitting there, so I guess we just didn't remember in time.
As RD was coming back home with Reese from futsal, he proposed a fire/cook-out.
Yes!

So after dinner he made a fire, and the boys played soccer and the rest of us sat around the fire until the coals were ready for smores. Reese scorched several on purpose, Grace had a few torches on accident, and Cameron had simply perfect 'mallows. Aubree started scarfing plain 'mallows, I think she ended up with at least 6 before cut her off. She tried sandwiching the plain 'mallow with graham cracker, but it proved hard to eat. She decided she liked the graham cracker better for throwing in the fire. The weather was perfect for a fire, and as we put away the food, the kids all played soccer. After awhile, they started swtiching up games, as Aubree ran between them and throwing sticks in the fire. We'd tell her 'no more!" and she'd say, 'ok, no more' after she threw it in, and then do it again.

The flames were gone, and we were cooling the coals while the kids were deciding what game to play, and amazingly became unanimous about 'ghost in the graveyard' as long as RD played with them. They turned off the lights from the house except one, and squealed and ran around playing. They played for a long time, and it was great fun. Aubree had taken off her shoes and coat (as always) and was rather bossy telling people whose turn it was to hide. Some of the best hiding spots were RD hiding as I sat on his lap (no one saw that one!) and Cameron laying on the ground against the fence (his gray sweatshirt totally blended in). They usually didn't get too far from base, shrieking as they scared themselves with the shadows and wondering where the 'ghost' was.
Way past dark we finally came in, then time for showers/scriptures/prayer. Thanks for our fun fire and games was mentioned in some prayers. i thought it was a pretty near perfect saturday, even with the scrapes from Aubree's fall, not-working-library-checked-out wii game Cameron was very disapointed about, and drama about needing to make a shirt for the 100th day of school for Grace, and the frustration with a teammate in futsal for Reese.

No comments: